Binge eating is one of the biggest downfalls in a weight loss program. Binge eating can start subtly and turn into a habit; before you know it, you've gained ten pounds and may want to throw in the towel. Don't let binge eating rob you of all your progress. Here are some sure-fire ways to tackle the binge eating urge and keep you on track.
1. Pay attention to your triggers - I talk to moms all the time about situations that trigger binge eating. Some of the common triggers are:
- Toxic Stress
- Unexpected schedule changes
- Marital challenges
- Workplace struggles
- Caring for family, especially young children
2. Include a trigger section in your food journal
If you want to lose or manage your weight you have to become an "expert" on what you eat and what causes you to eat. For example, if you know that you get stressed out when the kids get home from school, log that time window in your journal as a critical zone. Monthly cycles can also bring out the binge eating beast and you may find yourself staring into the pantry for anything sweet. If you know when your triggers happen, you better prepare to deal with them, which leads me to my next point.
3. Drink! Okay, now that I have your attention, I'll expound some more. You need an arsenal of binge eating solutions that prevent you from going overboard. One of my number one tricks to attack binge eating is a glass of water with 1-2 teaspoons of Dr. Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar. Apple Cider Vinegar not only has amazing healing properties but it eliminates cravings. I use it regularly - I have to with four kids!
How do you deal with binge eating? I'd love to hear your stories and your challenges.